Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reunionizing

Five Years.

That's how long it's been since I first walked out the center gates onto Nassau street and picked up my degree, written in Latin no less, to signify that I had made it.  Four years of ups and downs and regrets and rejoices.  Four years making some of the best friends of my life.

Here they are



I won't tell you who's who in case they like their anonymity.  Just call them Awesome 1, Awesome 2, etc.

This year we watched the fireworks together.  (It's amazing how champagne makes a campus harder to navigate, but no endless bottle service this go-round).  So no one got lost, or peed in bushes, or misplaced their wallet, or was sought out in Terrace or any of the ridiculous antics that led to a private sharing of photos that will never go public on facebook.  And no, those were not all just one person.

There was still plenty of sleeping on the floor in cramped quarters.  There was a lot of overheating and remembering the mugginess of Jersey.  There was cheering in the P-rade for classes 1925-2011.  There were plenty of dance moves, including "The Bernie" and attempted moonwalking for the MJ tribute band.  It was a hands-down, all-around blast.

Except.

Are we getting old?  Because 1am felt a lot later than it used to.  And I found myself pointing to places that used to be open space and saying "what is that building?"  Or being disgusted by dance floor grinding and hard core making out.  Or hiding in the shade for the 70s, and 80s, and 90s.

I realized there are these people that I love, in their own special way, and yet I rarely ever see them.  It made me want to go back every year.  If they will go back every year.  It made me want to take a million photos just to have plenty to scroll through on a slow work day.  It made me sad for the future when we'll stop having weddings to link us up between returns to campus.

I'm pretty good at being preemptively sad these days.  So while reunions still goes down as one of the best weekends in life, it's also one of those so-great-because-it's-so-scarce.

I know I'm not making sense, and I know that some other life stuff has my heart in pieces and my mind all scattered and my faith a little broken.  I guess I'll just suffice it to say that it was wonderful.  And I would relive it again.  And again.  And again.

Hip, Hip
Rah Rah Rah
Sis Sis Sis
Boom Boom Boom
Bah
'06, '06, '06

1 comment:

  1. Aaawww awesome post! Love it! And LOVE YA even more!!!

    ReplyDelete