Sunday, November 17, 2013

20 Months: Ending an Only Child Era

This week PDG turned 20 months.  This one is most exciting because, ever since I realized I was pregnant, I've been fairly certain that 20 months would be the age difference between big brother and little brother.  Which means, we are now in the month that MDG arrives!!!

So before all the focus switches over to little brother, let's enjoy a little more of this temporarily-only-child.

For example, he is trying so hard to be just like his da-da and ma-ma.  If we growl, he growls.  If we say "mmm-hmm" he says "mmm-hmm."  If we yawn, he opens his mouth wide to yawn.  If we close a drawer with our feet, he closes (or attempts to close) a drawer with his foot.

His language really is increasing exponentially.  He can say and point to eyes, ears, mouth, nose, teeth, feet, hands, and diaper.  He's tackled milk, 'nana, g'apes, apple, pump'in, doggy, cat, kak-kak (duck sounds), mess, poop poop (without context) and more I can't think of right now.

Speaking of poop poop, quick story.  The other night I had lots of back and side aches from good ol' braxton hicks that won't go away but won't start labor, so I decided to hop in PDG's bath.  We splashed and laughed and wiggled our toes.  Super cute right?  Then I called J-Man to help get him dry while I actually took a minute to wash for real.  J-Man picked him up and what did we see?!?!  That's right - poop poop.  Right there in the tub where he'd been sitting.  Grrr-osss!!!

Luckily, mamas have to have a sense of humor, and J-Man likes to "borrow" gloves from doctor offices, so we had the mental and physical needs to handle the situation.  Oh motherhood....

But back to PDG - he loved his halloween costume but was totally confused by the custom.  He tried to go inside every house we knocked on.  He became obsessed with the Halloween books Mama H brought him.  He discovered how great chocolate is.

Generally, he's given me all the reason in the world to smile.  And on days when it feels like this pregnancy is never-ending and I wonder why I put myself through this much discomfort, I look at him and remember why.  I hope I never forget the sound of his laughter, the look of delight on his face when he discovers something new, the way he whispers "hush" on the right pages of Goodnight Moon, and that goofy little dance of his.  No matter how many million times a day he says "mama no," he's a huge part of the reason I can say "yes" this mama is one happy mama indeed.

So now, MDG, if you wouldn't mind hurrying up, I'm ready to start writing about you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment