Friday, February 11, 2011

Starship Morning

Today started off just right.  That's right folks, just right. 

For comparison, last night I was stuck in KingHenryZebra in traffic with my work mentor asking today why it had to be so... today..., preparing to take disciplinary action against someone I supervise, and wondering if anything else could possibly go wrong for us this week. (I'd elaborate but, let's be real, no one really likes to hear about work woes)

So this morning I knew I was off to a good day when a Twix commercial took me back.  Debating the daily question of hair up or hair down (up), I was instantly transported to 1987 singing along to "And if this world runs out of lovers, WE'LL still have each other, nothing's gonna stop us now..."

Mannequin?!?!

Let the world around us, just fall apart!  I know this song, and I looove this movie!

Before you get your hopes up, no, Mannequin was not airing at 8am on NBC4.  Imagine the day that could have been!  But nearly as good, featured in a mainstream commercial, I had a moment to reflect back on the good ol' days before Kim Cattrall decided to sleep with everything in New York City, back when she was a young, ambitious, plastic, leading lady.  Oh Mannequin.

It reminded me that just a year or so ago J-Man and I were discussing this epic film event and decided to give it another go.  See, I remembered it fondly.  He remembered it floppingly.  We both needed a refresher to prove the other wrong. 

We snuggled in tight in our comfy bed.  Giant comforter - check.  Dual-controlled heating blanket - check.  Netflix awesomeness - check.

And as the opening scenes commenced, we both were faced with a simple fact neither of us seemed to ever know before.  This movie starts in Egypt?  Whaaa?

That seemed absolutely crazy.  Of course current news events show that I am not up on Northeast African politics, so I can only really reference other Holywood Egyptian movies.  Blonde bombshell Kim Cattrall just didn't quite feel right as our Egyptian goddess soon to be trapped in a life-size barbie bod.  What I do know is that I've seen the Charlton Heston Ten Commandments enough times to have pretty good sense of what film Egyptians should look like, and this Nubian queen was not living up to the ripped, wind-torn, dare-I-say sexy Moses and his people for whom I used to sympathize every Easter season.  And obviously that's what counts here. 

PS - Don't judge me for thinking there's something just a liiiiitle intriguing about movie Moses. 

Story short, J-Man gave up soon after this culturally liberal exposition.  I pretended to also be bored, and secretly watched the rest while he napped later that day.  And it was just as magical and happy and fantastically eighties-in-love as I remember it.

So this morning, when I heard the theme song, followed soon after by a clip from my favorite musical (10 points if you know which) on the Today Show, I knew it would be good.

And would you believe it?  I was right.

Good Day DC.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment