Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Getaway

When I first caught wind this week that J-Man and O-Dog (KB's husband) might be up to something, I gotta admit, I was nervous.

Why, you ask?  Well, let's just say surprises aren't my thing.  I love waiting for surprise packages from Santa, sure, but surprise trips?  Yikes.  And then having to pack for a surprise trip?  Double yikes. 

Step one was the elaborate preface.  J and O thought it would be fun to convince us girls that we were going winter camping.  Except, joke on them, KB flat refused to go on such a trip.  Ha!  Gotcha boys.  We know you respect your wives more than to try and take us to sleep in the frozen snow or ice-fish on a sketchy lake.  When I promised to "try new things" I meant sushi rolls and go-karts - no sleeping bags required. 

So yeah, the camping joke failed, and we were promised it would at least be somewhere nice, but nothing more. Imaginations ran wild.

Bags packed and headed into rush hour traffic we made our way to...

Do you know already?

Are you dying with anticipation?

Should I add more lines or are you like me and have already scrolled down to see?

Ok

ok

It's

Annnnnn - apolis.

That's how west coaster J-Man says it.  I tried to explain, it's like you're going to take a nap.  uh-nap-olis.  We agree to disagree, which happens now and again. Annapolis.

And speaking of naps, I had amazing naps.  The kind of naps that are so calmingly beautiful that you wake up and hope you're blessed with yet another one before the end of the day.  And I was!  Oh, naps, how I worked hard all week to deserve you. How I wish every weekend could be packed with two or three or four naps like these.  What is it about hotel rooms with no to-do lists of chores that just ease you into sweet, sweet slumber?

So the weekend continued and we learned a few important life lessons.

For example, the portion sizes in Annapolis restaurants are, shall we say, microscopic.  Alternatively, the quality of the crab cakes is astronomical. 

Also, J-Man did not actually steal the pretty flowers below from a graveyard.  Phew!

Strangely, hotels do still have phones in the bathroom.  Are you supposed to do business in there?  Like real business, not stinky business?  If so I think it would look like this.



But really folks, how can you not love a town with multi-colored walls?  It made us girls want to do romantic photo shoots. And fact, there is nothing more fun than a silly photo shoot, and nothing more frustrating than boys who won't take it seriously.



So, thanks, guys, for the surprise.  I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment