Thursday, April 28, 2011

Droid X[tra-fail]

Oh man.  Technology has failed me again.

Ok, ok, it's more like I have failed to use technology correctly.  Again.

This morning on the shuttle ride I decided to draft my blog post on the droid x[tra-difficult].  It has that giant screen just calling to be used for something, so I figured, sure, why not.

I opened my gmail to write an email to myself and began just typing away.  Now, I'll admit, it was a bit of a rant.  Some angry thoughts about college kids (wow, I really am getting old!) and prejudices towards particular high schools in the area and snotty kids bred there.  I was telling you all about my trip to UVA that has kept me from posting midweek the way I like to.  It was pretty long.

As I was typing along, I noticed that spell check wasn't helping me out.  I'm a lazy texter since I got used to autocorrect and now only type made-up words like im or theyd that the phone is supposed to know are really contractions.  Who knew I'd miss my fanciphone so much?!

It was only as I was about to write how lovely it was to see Doc Squared (at least, she'll be a doc squared in however many years it takes to become one.  we'll call her Doc for short until a better name strikes me). The whole tone of the post was going to change.  I was going to talk about cute sandwich shops and heavy breakfasts and how wonderful A/C is and how we reminisced about the hottest summer since mankind when we first met in Jersey summer '02. 

That's when I discovered the fail. 

You know why I hadn't had the droid x[tra-annoying] helping me with spelling?  Because I was in the subject line.  The subject line!

Ok, ok, I know.  My fault.  Maybe.  But I'm smart enough I think that it should be obvious when multiple paragraphs are all in the subject of an email.  And if not, I would hope it would be user friendly enough to let me copy and paste it into the text of the email.

But nooooo, way too easy.  Instead, when I try to do the copy/paste technique from the old phone, it combines random words from my post into a string of imagined email addresses.  Like voodoo magic.  Even if I could copy and paste at that point, it was garbledygoop. 

So I shoved it in my bag, read my Express on the metro, and waited a little while to vent.

One day, friends, I will master this phone.  (And then the company will probably switch us to sprint!)

No comments:

Post a Comment