Monday, May 21, 2012

Mommy-Daddy Time

This weekend J-Man and I braved an activity many new parents wait months or years to attempt.  As such, someone out there is probably judging me really hard right now.  Oh well.

We left PDG alone for about 30 hours as we headed north to NYC.

It wasn't an emergency.  We weren't laden with guilt.  We could have found a way to only be separated for 3 hours instead of the full 30.

But this was mommy-daddy time.  This was a continuation of Nicole's Birthday Month.

Weekend one - Apple Blossom (which deserves its own post or two)
Weekend two - Fun and Food in the Park (so much food!!)
Weekend three - NYC for Newsies and lunch at Tony's
Weekend four - Vegas

Yep, we went back to our old stomping grounds.  Mama and Papa H came to Arlington and settled in where PDG would be most comfortable.  After repeating our routines (no schedule yet, just routines) and carefully reviewing how to heat the frozen milk reserves that I'd worked so hard to store, J-Man scooted me out the door and promised me that my parents had raised me, they could raise my son for a day and a half as well.

We stayed near my school in New Jersey for nostalgia reasons, but when we arrived at eight something I was already yawning and it was clear no trip to Nassau St was in the works.  Instead just some snacks in the hotel and lights out at nine thirty.

I slept nearly twelve hours.  Never in my life has sleep felt so amazing.  Never.

The day was full of old memories.  New Jersey Transit.  Penn Station.  Slow tourists between 34th and 42nd.  Delicious Italian cuisine.  That moment when the house lights dim and the orchestra starts to play and your heart beats faster as you enter a make-believe world of music and dance and wonder.

Let me just say that Newsies might be the best dancing I've seen on Broadway.  I already want to see it again and watch those guys spin on newspapers and point their toes.

Even so, on the train ride back to our car, I started to realize just how much I missed my little man.  I pulled out my fanciphone and started to flip through every photo I have of him (there are a lot). We got in the car and sped down the turnpikes, through the tolls, to our waiting family.

What a wonderful trip.  And what a perfect ending, pulling up late that night to PDG, so ready for his mama that he'd decided not to take his last bottle, not to close his eyes, knowing she must be about to arrive.

Holding him in my arms I knew two things.  One, I loved him more than ever.  Two, I'm ok letting him go at times, as long as I always get him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment