Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dear J-Man (5 years in)

Dear J-Man

Can you believe it's been five years since this?


Or this?

Since you promised so many sweet (and practical) things and I did the same.

And our friends danced the night away with our relatives.  So did we, of course.  So much so that my calves cramped when I finally got to sit down and eat cake in our little cottage.

Remember how happy we were?  Not, like, remember-when-things-were-great-and-now-they're-not, but, you know, remember that crazy-good and inexpressible happiness of tying your life to a person that is truly your best friend.

You really are my best friend, you know?  Sure, our beginning was unconventional.  But you had that A/C unit.  And you weren't scared to talk to me, despite me supposedly being 'standoffish.'  And if someone had told us at any point before we met that we would fall in love like we did, we would have laughed and moved on.

But somehow, we've never given up on each other.  Even when we drive each other crazy.  No matter how messy of a cook I am, and how infrequently I manage to adequately clean up from that.  No matter how loud you blast your gangsta rap.

These five years of marriage have reassured me daily that we did the right thing.  We were young.  We were a little reckless.  But J-Man, we were so happy.  I am so happy.  I don't think I could ever really tell you.

Thanks for being my baby-daddy.  My dance partner.  My chauffeur. My pop culture guru.  My pillow.  My rock.  My.... ok, it's getting sappy.  You get the point.

lovelovelove

your nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment